Summary: Accidentally deleted or lost data from an Android device and now looking for the methods to recover deleted data from unrooted Android phone? If so, then you have come to the right place.
In one of my earlier posts, I have discussed how to recover data from rooted Android phone, but I found many community & forums websites where Android users are asking for solutions to recover lost data from Android phone without rooting.
For Example: Let Us Take Practical Scenario Faced By an Android User
Help! Recover lost photos no root!!
I accidently deleted a photo and I’m really pissed to find out you can’t access the mass storage mode on a Samsung Galaxy S3 without it being rooted first. I just don’t know what to do. I’ve searched all over and everything I find is an “easy” fix and will recover your photos BUT only if your phone is rooted first. Well mine is not.
So next my question is, if you root your phone won’t you lose all the information on it? So basically I’m screwed right? Because I can’t root my phone and then recover?
I’ve never rooted my phone so I wouldn’t even know where to start. I just feel so screwed over right now. Does anyone know of a way to recover accidently deleted photos without rooting first?
– Original Post from Android Central Forums
Hence, I have come up with this article to provide recovery solutions that will help you to get back lost/deleted data from unrooted Android phones/tablets.
Here in this article, you will get six different ways to recover deleted files from Android phone without root. Also, you will get to know more about rooting and some possible causes due to which users suffer from data loss.
So read this blog thoroughly and apply the given methods to restore deleted files from unrooted Android devices. Now let’s proceed…
Just read the post till the end and apply the given instruction.
To Restore Lost Files From Unrooted Android Phone, we recommend this tool:
This effective tool will recover lost, deleted, inaccessible data from any data loss situations in no time. Now recover your lost and deleted data in just 3 easy steps:
- Download this Data Recovery Tool rated Excellent on Pcmag.com.
- Select the storage media you wish to recover data from and click on Scan.
- Preview the files before recovery and choose Recover option to restore deleted data from Android.
What Does Unrooted Android Mobile Mean?
In simple language, I would define it as – “Unrooted Android phone is just as it is provided by the manufacturer. You have to just use the phone full of bloated unwanted apps that the manufacturer gave you. This means you will have no control over your phone’s hidden features. You can only manage the basic settings like any other normal user.”
In other words – Unrooting (Non-Rooted) Android phones are just the reverse of rooting Android phones, where you can do things with limitations and you will not have full control of your android devices, such as you will not be able to remove pre-installed apps and so on.
What Causes Android Users to Lose Data on their Unrooted Android Phones?
Even if you are using the best and secure smartphone, data loss becomes a common issue. So, it is necessary to secure your important files by keeping a data backup.
Here are some of the common reasons causing data loss:
- Accidentally deleting files from my Android phone.
- Upgrading mobile operating system to the latest version can erase few data
- If you root your Android device without having proper knowledge, then you can lose your phone’s data.
- Dropped into water or phone got stolen.
- Replacing the battery, restore your phone’s factory settings. So this can also lead to data loss.
- Virus or malware infection corrupts the data making it inaccessible.
- Performing factory reset can erase data from an Android phone.
- Ejecting SD cards in the wrong way can cause data loss.
Well, whatever may be the reasons behind the loss of data from unrooted Android devices that are mentioned above, you do not need to worry at all. Just relax and be calm! You can now easily undelete data from unrooted Android phones with the use of Android Data Recovery software.
Is It Possible to Recover Deleted Files from Unrooted Android Phone?
Rooting an Android device can cause data loss or damage to your phone’s software. So there are several different techniques that we have listed in this article to recover deleted files from Android phone without root.
The thing is only that you can only recover missing files if you have created phones data backup to your Google Drive, Google Account, or Google Photos.
As you can only access deleted files by restoring these backed-up files. Now let’s find out some of the common reasons behind phones’ data loss.
How To Recover Deleted Data from Unrooted Android Phone?
1. Best Solution: Use Data Recovery Tool to Restore Deleted Data from Android Phone Without Rooting
If you have not rooted your device and accidentally lost/deleted data from it, that you want to recover, then you can use one of the best and perfect Android Data Recovery Tool.
This is the recovery software for unrooted android that effectively retrieves back lost, missing, deleted, erased, formatted data from unrooted Android phones and tablets in just a few simple steps.
It recovers files like photos, videos, audio, contacts, SMS, WhatsApp chat history, notes, voice recording, songs, movies, call logs, documents, and much more. It scans the android device and helps you to preview the recoverable files within the software so that you can check files.
The software supports all unrooted Android phones such as Samsung, Xiaomi, HTC, LG, Oppo, Lenovo, Vivo, Panasonic, ZTE, Huawei, Motorola, etc running on various Android OS such as Gingerbread, Froyo, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat, Marshmallow, Nougat.
Steps to Recover Lost/Deleted Files From Non-Rooted Android Phones
Step 1: Connect Your Android device
First, launch Android Data Recovery software on computer and choose ‘Data Recovery‘
Now connect your Android device to computer via USB cable.
Note: Make sure that you have enabled USB debugging on your Android device
After your device is identified, you will see the screen as below:
Step 2: Choose file types to Scan
When your device is connected successfully, Android Data Recovery will show the types of data it supports. It has checked all types of files by default. You just need to choose the data type you wish to recover.
If your device is rooted then Android Data Recovery will give two options: Scan for deleted files and Scan for all files. Selecting Scan for all files will take longer time but it will scan the file thoroughly.
Now tap on ‘Next‘ to continue the recovery process. The recovery program will examine your phone first
And now your device will be scanned to recover lost data. This entire process will some moment so just wait and relax.
Step 3: Preview and restore lost data from Android phone
After the scan is finished, now you can preview the recovered data one by one. Here you should check the items you need and then tap on ‘Recover‘ to save in your computer.
2. Use Google Drive to Recover Deleted Data From Unrooted Android Phone
Google Drive can keep a backup of all phone data such as text messages, contacts, Gmail settings, apps, display settings, date and time, Google calendar, Wi-Fi networks password, and many more.
So, if you have enabled the auto-backup feature or manually backed up phones data to Google Drive then it becomes easier for you to recover deleted data from unrooted Android phone.
Follow the below steps to restore files from the drive:
- Sign in to your Google Drive account or open the Google Drive app on your phone.
- Now, you can see all the files backed up on Google Drive.
- Select the files you want to restore and tap on the three vertical dots given at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Tap on the Download option in the list.
- Now, the selected files will be restored on your Android phone without rooting it.
Bonus Tip: Even if you have lost backed-up files from Google drive, you can get those lost files from Trash. This feature offers users to restore removed items within 30 days.
3. Recover Deleted Photos or Videos on Unrooted Phone Using Google Photos
Most Android phones come with the Google Photos app. If you are using this app to keep a backup of your photos and videos, then you can easily restore deleted files from an unrooted Android phone.
So, first, open the Google Photos app > select photos or videos to restore > click on three vertical dots on the top right corner of the screen > click on the Download option.
You will see the Delete from Device option in place of Download that means your selected photo or video is already saved in your Gallery. So look for the items in all folders, there may be a copy of the selected item saved in some different folder.
Even if you have accidentally deleted data from the Google Photos app still, you can get back those deleted files from the Trash feature. But in the trash, deleted data will remain only for 60 days.
In the Samsung Galaxy phone, there will be a Recycle Bin feature where deleted photos or videos remain for 30 days.
So, if you are a Samsung user and want to restore deleted items then, first open Gallery > click on three vertical dots > tap on Recycle Bin option from menu > select contents to restore > at last tap on Restore button.
4. Recover Deleted Files From Samsung Smart Switch (For Samsung Users)
Smart Switch is an application that can only be accessible on Samsung phones. This app can backup photos, contacts, apps data, and many other local files on your Android device.
So, if you have an existing Smart Switch backup, then follow the below steps to recover data from unrooted Android phones:
- First, launch Samsung Smart Switch on your PC.
- Connect your Android phone to your PC via USB.
- Tap on the Restore button. Next, tap on the Select a different backup option if you want to restore the previous backup otherwise tap on Restore now option.
- Then you will receive a prompt message to allow access permission on your phone. So tap on Allow button to continue further.
- Next, click on the Ok button to finish the restore process.
5. Recover Deleted Files From Samsung Cloud (For Samsung Users)
The Samsung cloud feature is available only on Samsung smartphones, capable of keeping a backup of a huge amount of phones data.
If you have backed up all your phones data to this cloud feature then, go through the below steps to restore those saved data:
- Go to Settings on your Android device and click on your name displayed at the top of the screen.
- Open the Samsung Cloud section and click on the Restore data option. Here select the files that you want to restore.
- Then click on the Restore button.
6. Recover Deleted Contacts From Unrooted Android Phone
Sometimes users think that they have removed or lost the saved contacts but, the fact is that when phone settings get messed up with each other, contacts get hidden.
If you have lost contacts on your unrooted phone, then you may restore it from the SIM card. For this, simply follow the below steps to recover deleted contacts from the SIM card on an unrooted phone:
- Open Contacts on your Android device and click on the menu icon.
- Select Settings from the menu and click on Contacts to display option.
- Then select All contacts and click on Import/Export contacts option.
- Next, click on Import from Sim card option.
- Lastly, click on the Ok button to export contacts.
Retrieve Lost Files From Unrooted Android Phone: FAQs
1. How can I recover data from my Android phone that won’t turn on?
First, try to turn on your Android phone by applying some common fixes such as:
- Removing the battery and putting it back after 30 minutes
- Rebooting your device by pressing the power and volume button
- Removing SD card can turn on the phone
- Turn on your phone in Safe Mode by pressing the volume down button
After applying these fixes, if your phone still doesn’t turn on, then perform a factory reset or simply take a new phone.
If you have enabled the auto-backup feature or manually backed up your phone’s data, then it’s very easy to recover data from your Android phone that won’t turn on.
2. Can I retrieve data from a dead Android phone?
You can retrieve data from Google Drive backup on your new android device. Or if you are a Samsung user then you can use Samsung Cloud or Smart Switch backup feature. Here in this article, step by step procedure is given to restore those saved data from the drive, cloud, or any other backup system. But in case, if you don’t have any available backup files, then you can recover data from a dead Android phone by using Android Data Recovery tool.
3. How can I retrieve data from a broken Samsung phone?
You have to connect a mouse to your broken Samsung phone by using an OTG adapter to unlock your phone. Then enable Bluetooth to transfer files from broken phone to PC or save all data to cloud service.
So these were all possible methods that you can use to recover deleted data from unrooted Android phone. Lastly, I will suggest you always prepare backup to Google Drive, PC, or any other device to prevent data loss.
I hope now you can access your deleted, or lost data on your Android device.
Thank you for reading!
Henry Morgan is a professional blogger who loves to write blogs about Android & iOS related topics. He lives in Northern California and has almost 15 years of experience in the field of technology, tackling all kind of issues, errors or other problems. Currently he is a great contributor on Android Data Recovery Blogs and his blogs are loved by people where he guides to solve several Android related issues or any other problems. During his busy schedule, Henri finds some moments to spend time with his family and loves to play cricket.