Summary: After upgrading Outlook from 2003 to 2007, some users may receive DLL errors indicating that files are missing in the installation. This article will show you some manual techniques to overcome the problem and professional software to help you repair data files.
My colleague is using the old version of Outlook 2003 and he wants to migrate to the next version of Outlook 2007. He upgraded the app and then opened the account, but the error displayed on the account was “This application cannot be started because the MAPI32 DLL was not found.Reinstalling the application may solve this problem.’
After receiving the message, he ran the Outlook PST Repair Tool (ScanPST.exe), but the error persisted. At that time, he didn’t know what the DLL file was and why this error was displayed in his Outlook.
What is a MAPI32 DLL file?
The DLL file is a dynamic link library file that exists in the application installation. When the user updates the Outlook version, a new Outlook file will be installed in the system. If you install any email application other than Outlook, you can also overwrite the DLL file.
A DLL error occurred when the user tried to upgrade directly from Outlook 2003 to 2007. During the installation and upgrade process, MAPI32.DLL was not updated or replaced correctly. It caused an incompatibility issue, and the error prevented the account from opening.
In addition to the incompatibility issue, there are multiple reasons why the same error is displayed when accessing Outlook. We show you a list of all possible causes-
- MAPI32.DLL cannot be found in its default location.
- Outlook cannot archive the path of the DLL folder.
- The DLL file is deleted from its location.
- A component of the DLL file is missing.
- The DLL file is damaged or incompatible with the Outlook version.
In extreme cases, DLL errors may occur due to registry issues, malware or spyware damage, or even system hardware failures.
How to fix MAPI32.DLL file error?
- Recreate the DLL fileYou can rename the file, and Outlook will recreate it. Follow the process——
- Open Windows Explorer and open the C drive.
- In Program Files, go to Common Files and open the System folder.
- Open the MSMAPI folder, and then open the 1033 folder.
- Select the MSMAPI32.DLL file and right-click on it.select Renamed
- Rename MSMAPI32.DLL to MSMAPI32.OLD and save.
- Now start Outlook. Outlook will try to find all the necessary program files, such as DLLs, and when it cannot find the related program files, it will recreate it with a compatible DLL.
- Run an antivirus scanIf you suspect that a virus is affecting your system and Outlook is affected by it, you can use antivirus software to scan the system thoroughly. The antivirus software will look for all affected files and delete the virus.
- Reinstall Outlook
DLL files are very important for the normal operation of any application. When the upgrade from Outlook 2003 to 2007 is not completed correctly, there will be several defects in the installation and program files. You should reinstall Outlook and add an account.
- Run scandisk
This”SFC/ScanThe cmdlet can scan the entire disk and recover incomplete files like MAPI32 DLL. It can also display various problems in hard disk sectors.
- Repair your PST file
If an MSMAPI32 DLL error occurs after adding your account in Outlook, the PST file may be affected due to improper settings or improper installation. You should use ScanPST tool or professional PST repair software to repair PST files to recover your mailbox items. To repair PST files, you can use Kernel for Outlook PST Recovery, which is an excellent tool recommended by experts. It repairs damaged PST files and saves them to a new PST file. As we all know, regardless of the size of the PST file, almost all known problems can be repaired. In addition, this tool supports PST files of all Outlook versions, including Outlook 2019.
Upgrading your Outlook application is beneficial, but errors such as MSMAPI32 DLL may disrupt the entire upgrade process and delete existing mailbox contents. To recover the items present in the PST file, you should use Kernel for Outlook PST Recovery software.
The software will access the PST file and restore all mailboxes present in it. It can even restore deleted items. The software cannot help you install Outlook correctly, but if there is a problem, it will use the complete folder to restore the entire mailbox. Later, you can directly save the data in a new PST file.