Things To Do If Exchange EDB File Too Big
admin ❘ March 17th, 2021
MS Exchange Server is a collaboration platform for the users and organization to store mailboxes, calendars, contacts, emails, tasks, attachments, etc. It provides reliability and better performance to the users to fetch data from the server. Furthermore, this can run only on Windows server OS and is also known as a server-side application.
The exchange server uses EDB files as its repository to store data mailbox items such as emails, calendars, contacts, attachments, notes, tasks, etc. EDB maintains every communication made through the Exchange Server. Besides it, these files are created in the B-Tree structure on a single client-server so that users can get quick access to many pages at a single time.
In the process of storing data in the EDB files, it will get automatically increase in size, and the Exchange EDB file too big. Hence here, you can learn about the different ways by which you can reduce exchange database size. But as a matter of fact, EDB file data are never compressed. The data can only remove from the files and free white space left in them.
Exchange EDB file too big can cause multiple problems in the exchange server:
- Speed of Exchange decreases
- Creates performance-related issues
- Abrupt database dismount
- Slow searches
- Corruption/Damage in database.
Benefits of Reduce Exchange EDB Files
- By reducing the size of Exchange EDB files, the response time of the Mailbox request increases, and users get better communication.
- The white space reduces in the EDB file and increases storage for the emails and other information.
- Older data migrates to another folder makes the exchange of EDB files more manageable.
These are some benefits of reduce exchange database size. Therefore, to decrease the EDB file size, learn the different methods.
How Do I Reduce The Size Of My EDB File If The Exchange EDB File Too Big?
- Create a new mailbox in the Exchange Database and transfer the old mailbox data to the new mailbox.
- Perform Defrag offline to shrink the Mailbox Database EDB files.
- Migrate the path of the Mailbox Database.
Solution 1: Reduce The Exchange Mailbox Edb Files Using Eseutil
To check the free white space of the EDB files, users have to run the following code in the Exchange Management Shell.
If your exchange EDB file too big and, want to reduce the size of the EDB files, then follow the prerequisites:
- To defrag the Exchange Server Database using Eseutil, you have to dismount the server at the time of defragmenting. It means that uses do not have to access the server when the defragging process works.
- In the process, a new file is created by the Eseutil in the server, but the old file, new file, and a temporary file also exist in them. You have to need some free space in the system for performing defragmentation. Or, if you don’t have storage, then select the temporary location while runs Eseutil.
Working to reduce Exchange EDB file Size
- Users have to run the below-mentioned code in Exchange management Shell to dismount and navigate Exchange database Mailbox. So the Mailbox of Exchange database is temporarily dismounted before defragging.
- Users can also dismount the Exchange database with the help of Exchange Management Console. And for this, they have to select the mailbox, which they want to move, right-click on it, and choose>press on Dismount Database option.
- Now run the Eseutil to defrag the EDB file of the Exchange Server.
- Mount the Exchange database by running the following code.
- Now, you can check the Exchange database file size available or the white space creates on the selected mailbox.
- It displays that the file size is less and the white space removed.
- At last, Eseutil is completed, run the backup of the Exchange database.
Solution 2: Reduce The Size Of Exchange Edb File Too Big Using Exchange Management Console
- Launch the Exchange Management Console in the system and analyze them. Select the Mailbox from which you want to reduce size.
- Now, pick the Mailbox to move, right-click on it>>click the Move database Path.
- Then the Move Database path window appears on the screen. Enter your new path for the database paths and log folder path.
- After changing the location of EDB files. Click on the Move to reduce the exchange EDB file too big size from the Exchange database.
- After click on the Move Microsoft Exchange tab popup on the screen, it displays information that the database must be temporarily dismounted. Do you want to continue? Click Ok.
- Finally, the move process takes some time to execute depending on the size of the EDB files.
- When the Move operation finish, you can preview the complete information. Now, click Finish to end the Process.
By performing the above methods, you can reduce the size of the exchange EDB file too big. But if the EDB files are corrupted or damaged, then these solutions do not work with them. So here I recommend users a third-party software. To fix the corruption of EDB files and reduce exchange database size.
Sysinfo EDB to PST Converter is an exchange Recovery software for data restoration from damaged Exchange Server EDB files. This software helps users in securing Exchange mailboxes and exports them in various file formats. Using this utility, users can migrate data from the Corrupted EDB files to Outlook PST/MSG, PDF, MSG Unicode, EML, MBOX, TXT, RTF, HTML, etc.
In this blog, we have learned about the MS Exchange server, which works as a collaboration platform for the users and organization, to store mailbox, calendars, contacts, emails, tasks attachments in them. And for storing these data Exchange databases use EDB files. Therefore, there might be a possibility of an exchange EDB file too big in the server. Thus, look at the different approaches using which users can reduce the EDB file size. Moreover, understand the third-party software using which users can fix the corrupt EDB files and reduce their size. How to Fix and Reduce Exchange EDB File Size?